|📰 Title:||Shadow Warrior||🕹️ / 🛠️ Type:||Game|
|🗃️ Genre:||Adventure & Action||🚦 Status:||05. Released|
|🏷️ Category:||Adventure & Action ➤ FPS ➤ Fantasy & Sci-fi ➤ Duke Nukem, Redneck Rampage, ...||🌍️ Browser-based:|
|🔖 Tags:||Action; FPS; Swordplay; Shooter; Puzzle; Adventure; Hack and Slash; Ninja; Demons; Build engine; Gore; Nudity; Dark Humor; Funny; Comedy; Atmospheric; Classic; Oldie||📦️ Package Name:|
|🐣️ Approx. start:||1994-01-01||📦️ Arch:|
|🐤️ Latest:||1994-01-01||🍥️ On Deb repo:|
|📍️ Version:||Latest : -||📦️ Deb:|
|🏛️ License type:||Free/Free price||📦️ RPM:|
|🏛️ License:||Free||📦️ AppImage:|
|🏝️ Perspective:||First person||📦️ Snap:|
|👁️ Visual:||3D||📦️ Flatpak/Athenaeum:|
|⏱️ Pacing:||Real Time||⚙️ Generic bin.:|
|👫️ Played:||Single & Multi||📄️ Source:|
|🎖️ This record:||📱️ PDA support:|
|🎖️ Game design:||👫️ Contrib.:||Goupil & Louis|
|🎰️ ID:||14009||🐛️ Created:||2013-10-16|
|[fr]:||Un FPS (sorti en 1997) de type fantastique dans lequel le joueur incarne Lo Wang, un maître Ninja en guerre contre une organisation mafieuse Japonaise qui fait appel à des créatures maléfiques pour tenter de s'emparer du contrôle du Japon. Dans un futur proche au Japon, les sociétés dominent tous les aspects de la vie et emploient des guerriers de l'ombre, des hommes armés et de compétences inégalées, afin d'asseoir leur pouvoir et d'annihiler toute opposition ...||[en]:||A fantasy FPS (released in 1997) in which the player embodies Lo Wang, a master Ninja at war against a Japanese mafia organization which calls upon evil creatures to try to seize control of Japan. In the near future in Japan, societies dominate all aspects of life and employ shadow warriors, armed men and unequaled skills, in order to assert their power and annihilate all opposition ...|
🎥️ Trailer / Gameplay :
🐧 Linux joue / Linux plays : LinuxGames (with DosBox 0.74)
Classic Redux (remastered, with Linux version on Steam)
🎥️ Trailer / Gameplay :
🏡️ Website & videos
[Homepage] [Dev site] [Features/About] [Screenshots] [WIKI] [FAQ] [RSS] [Changelog 1 2 3]
Commercial links (Shadow Warrior Classic) : [Steam (Windows, for contents extraction)] - Free
Commercial links (Shadow Warrior Classic Complete) : [GOG] - Free [Videos t(202xxx) ts(202xxx) r(202xxx) lp(o) g(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx)]
Commercial links (Shadow Warrior Classic Redux) : [Steam] [Videos t(202xxx) t(202xxx) t(202xxx) r(202xxx) r(202xxx) r(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx) g(202xxx)]
• Demo / Abandonware, Windows, for contents extraction : [DOS Games Archives (Windows, for contents extraction)]
• Don Allen's Timbres of Heaven Soundfont (Nice Soundfont for games) : [video] [Don Allen's Timbres of Heaven Soundfont]
• Roland SC-55 Music Pack : [video] [Roland SC-55 Music Pack]
🛠️ Technical informations
[Open Hub] [PCGamingWiki] [MobyGames]
(Shadow Warrior(202xxx)) Devs (3D Realms [fr] [en]) : [Site 1 2] [Forums] [twitter] [Facebook] [YouTube] [LinkedIn] [Interview 1 2]
(Shadow Warrior(202xxx)) Devs (General Arcade [fr] [en]) : [Site 1 2] [twitter] [Facebook] [YouTube] [Interview 1 2]
(Build engine) Devs (Ken Silverman [fr] [en]) : [Site 1 2] [twitter] [Facebook] [YouTube] [Interview 1 2]
Game : [Blog] [Forums] [twitter] [YouTube]
[Wikipedia (Shadow Warrior) [fr] [en] [de]]
📦️ Misc. repositories
[metacritic] [Gaming on Linux]
🐘 Social Networking Update (on Mastodon)
📖 Our entry: https://bit.ly/bottinLightOn
Source of this Entry:
Un FPS où le joueur est un maître Ninja en guerre contre une organisation mafieuse Japonaise, par les studios 3D Realms & General Arcade.
Il utilise le moteur Build engine (de Ken Silverman).
Shadow Warrior est un FPS (sorti en 1997) de type fantastique dans lequel le joueur incarne Lo Wang, un maître Ninja en guerre contre une organisation mafieuse Japonaise qui fait appel à des créatures maléfiques pour tenter de s'emparer du contrôle du Japon. Dans un futur proche au Japon, les sociétés dominent tous les aspects de la vie et emploient des guerriers de l'ombre, des hommes armés et de compétences inégalées, afin d'asseoir leur pouvoir et d'annihiler toute opposition ...
Plusieurs versions sont disponibles :
• Shadow Warrior Classic : la version originale de Shadow Warrior pour DOS, livrée avec DOSBox. Elle est gratuite, mais ne comprend pas les packs d'extensions (voir ci-après).
• Shadow Warrior Classic Complete : idem "Shadow Warrior Classic" (version originale + DOSBox), avec en plus une copie digitale de la bande son + le manuel + les packs d'extension "Wanton Destruction" et "Twin Dragon" (voir la page Wikipedia en Anglais).
• Shadow Warrior Classic Redux : idem "Shadow Warrior Classic Complete", avec en plus des graphismes et sons remastérisés et une compatibilité avec les PC modernes (ne passe plus par DOSBox).
Voir aussi / See also (Shadow Warrior (1997)) : Shadow Warrior (1997, with BuildGDX engine), Shadow Warrior (1997, with JonoF's Shadow Warrior engine), Shadow Warrior (1997, with Raze engine), Shadow Warrior,
Lo Wang. Maître ninja assassin depuis 20 ans. Un guerrier de l'ombre. Les Guerriers de l'ombre sont les meilleurs des meilleurs, et Lo Wang était le meilleur des Guerriers de l'ombre. Chaque grande entreprise au Japon avait un Guerrier de l'ombre... un protecteur, un négociateur, un nettoyeur.
Lo Wang travaillait pour Zilla Enterprises, un conglomérat qui contrôlait toutes les grandes industries. Trop de contrôle. Le pouvoir corrompt, et la corporation de Maître Zilla était corrompue jusqu'à la moelle.
Lo Wang a découvert le plan démoniaque de Maître Zilla pour gouverner le Japon, en utilisant des créatures invoquées du côté obscur. Homme d'honneur, Lo Wang démissionne. Mais un homme aussi puissant que Wang doit être de votre côté, ou de celui de personne. Maître Zilla déchaîne ses créations pour leur premier test : tuer un seul homme, un guerrier de l'ombre... Lo Wang !
• Le rêve d'un assassin : De véritables situations de pièce à pièce, où vous pouvez avoir des poutres traversant une pièce et être au-dessus, en dessous ou debout sur la poutre.
• S'entretuer, ensemble : Réseau à 8 joueurs et modem à 2 joueurs, avec deathmatch et jeu coopératif.
• Maître de tous les arts : Nagez, esquivez, sautez, conduisez des véhicules, montez des échelles et bien plus encore dans ce jeu d'action intense.
• Rien n'est sûr : Une interaction intense avec votre environnement dans laquelle vous pouvez faire exploser presque tous les objets ou interagir avec eux d'une manière ou d'une autre.
• Derby de destruction : Utilisez des véhicules pour abattre les murs du jeu ou détruire une section de carte.
• Support des contrôleurs : Prise en charge partielle des manettes de la Xbox 360.
🌍️ Wikipedia :
Shadow Warrior est un jeu vidéo de tir subjectif développé par 3D Realms et édité par GT Interactive en 1997 sur DOS et Macintosh. Un reboot du jeu est sorti le 26 septembre 2013. Le reboot de 2013 est sorti sur Linux en 2015.
Lo Wang, le protagoniste du jeu, est un maître ninja. Il fait partie des Shadow Warriors (guerriers de l'ombre), des agents d'élite employés par les grandes entreprises japonaises. Lo Wang travaillait pour Zilla Entreprises, un conglomérant qui contrôlait les principales industries. Mais il a démissionné quand il s'est rendu compte que Zilla comptait employer des créatures maléfiques pour prendre le contrôle du Japon. Zilla envoie donc ses créatures pour tuer Lo Wang.
Lo Wang. Master ninja assassin for 20 years. A Shadow Warrior. Shadow Warriors are the best of the best, and Lo Wang was the best of the Shadow warriors. Every top company in Japan had a Shadow Warrior... a protector, a negotiator, a cleaner.
Lo Wang worked for Zilla Enterprises, a conglomerate with control in every major industry. Too much control. Power corrupts, and Master Zilla's corporation was corrupted to the core.
Lo Wang discovered Master Zilla's demonic scheme to rule Japan, using creatures summoned from the dark side. A man of honor, Lo Wang quit. But one as powerful as Wang either must be on your side, or on no one's side. Master Zilla unleashes his creations for their first test: to kill a single man, a shadow warrior... Lo Wang!
• An Assassin's Dream: True room-over-room situations, where you can have beams running over a room and be above, below, or stand on the beam.
• Kill Each Other, Together: 8-player network and 2-player modem supported, featuring deathmatch and co-operative play.
• Master of All Trades: Swim, duck, jump, drive vehicles, climb ladders and more in this intense action game.
• Nothing is Safe: Intense interaction with your environment in which you can blow up nearly every object, or interact with it in some way.
• Destruction Derby: Use vehicles to smash down game walls or destroy a section of a map.
• Controller Support: Partial Xbox 360 Controller support.
GOG (Shadow Warrior Classic Redux):
Lo Wang. The very name strikes fear in fortune cookie-eating Mafia men and small children everywhere. He is the reason most ninja wannabees have sold off their combat sandals to the local pawn shop. Lo Wang is Shadow Warrior. #1 Assassin. #1 Yakuza abuser. #1 Freak fragger. #1 Mutant mutilator. #1 Reason to be scared of the dark. Enter the Land of the Rising Sun and spread ninja charisma like napalm for there are undead sumos to be uzied, samurai to be shurikened, and bulldozers to be boarded. Don’t forget to goose the geishas and make sure your dinghy isn’t hanging out...
From the creators of Duke Nukem 3D, comes the ever-explosive, forever controversial Shadow Warrior, a first-person shooter that takes the Build engine to its extreme limits. Offering a destructible environment with a bevy of weapons--ranging from razor-sharp katanas, 4-barrel shotguns, and even your own fists--Shadow Warrior is sure to satisfy the hunger for some Lo Wang and not leave you hungry an hour later.
• Shadow Warrior Complete includes the original Shadow Warrior and two expansions: Wanton Destruction and Twin Dragon.
• Drivable vehicles smash through walls, crush enemies, and give you new explosive firepower!
• Use a powerful arsenal of weapons, including throwing stars, uzis, and 4-barrel shotguns to take on the most outrageous collection of enemies ever created.
• Hand to Face combat mode lets you kick butt and slice 'n' dice in true ninja fashion.
Steam (Shadow Warrior Classic Redux):
The definitive version of the cult classic shooter, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux features remastered visuals and two massive expansion packs. Corporations rule every facet of life in a near-future Japan and employ Shadow Warriors, one-man armies of unparalleled skill, to protect their power and forcefully remove all opposition.
The Zilla Corporation is the most powerful of these conglomerates and will stop at nothing to achieve domination unseen by any other corporation in the world. Lo Wang, Zilla Corporation’s legendary Shadow Warrior, discovers this corruption and the dark powers being summoned to aid his employers in this quest for absolute power. As a man of honor, Lo Wang vows to battle these demonic forces with an arsenal of explosive weapons, his silent blade, and a razor sharp wit.
🌍️ Wikipedia (Shadow Warrior (1997 video game)):
Shadow Warrior is a first-person shooter video game developed by 3D Realms and published by GT Interactive Software. The shareware version was released for the PC on May 13, 1997, while the full version was released on August 31, 1997. Shadow Warrior was developed using Ken Silverman's Build engine and improved on 3D Realms' previous Build engine game, Duke Nukem 3D. Mark Adams ported Shadow Warrior to Mac OS in August 1997.
The game's improvements included introduction of true room-over-room situations, the use of 3D voxels instead of 2D sprites for weapons and usable inventory items, transparent water, climbable ladders, and assorted vehicles to drive (some armed with weapons). Although violent, the game had its own sense of humor and contained some sexual themes. A combination of Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition was published by GT Interactive Software in March 1998, titled East Meets West.
In 2005, 3D Realms released the source code for Shadow Warrior (including compiled Build engine object code) under the GPL, which resulted in the first source port a day later on April 2, 2005. In 2013, Devolver Digital announced the game would be free to obtain for a limited time on Steam. Later, Devolver Digital announced that they would permanently offer the game for free.
A remake, also titled Shadow Warrior, was developed by Flying Wild Hog and published by Devolver Digital, launched on September 26, 2013.
Lo Wang is a bodyguard for Zilla Enterprises, which has control over every major industry in Japan. However, this has led to corruption. Master Zilla, the president of the Zilla Enterprise, is planning to conquer Japan using creatures from the "dark side". When he discovers this, Lo Wang quits his job as a bodyguard. Master Zilla realizes the threat that Lo Wang poses and sends his creatures to battle him.
Later on in the game, Lo finds that Zilla's minions have killed his old mentor, Master Leep. Following his master's dying words, Lo must avenge his death. The game ends with Lo Wang defeating Master Zilla, who commands a samurai-like war-mech. However, Zilla is able to escape Lo Wang, promising a future encounter.
Shadow Warrior is a first-person shooter similar to Duke Nukem 3D as both use the Build engine. Players navigate the protagonist, Lo Wang, through three-dimensional environments or "levels". Throughout levels are enemies that attack Lo Wang, which can be killed by the player using weapons such as a katana. Shadow Warrior also features puzzles that must be solved to progress in various levels.
Lo Wang's arsenal of weaponry includes Japanese-themed weapons such as shurikens—which were "likely to be dropped in favor of a high tech fun weapon" in development—and a katana, and marked the first appearance of a sticky bomb in an FPS, an idea popularized later by Halo. It also includes guns such as Uzis, a riot gun that fires shotgun shells, and the Eraser-inspired railgun (Lo Wang frequently mentions "Time to get erased! Ha ha!" when picking up this weapon). In addition, the head and heart of certain enemies can be used as weapons.
Shadow Warrior was an ambitious game, containing many features not seen until later first-person shooter games. For example, the game features turrets and various vehicles (such as tanks) that the player can drive around freely in, climbable ladders, and multiple firing modes for various weapons.
Development of Shadow Warrior began in early 1994 as Shadow Warrior 3D, and preliminary screenshots were released with Hocus Pocus in May 1994. George Broussard in 1996 stated: "We want Shadow Warrior to surpass Duke Nukem 3D in features and gameplay and that's a TALL order." To this end, more tongue-in-cheek humor was added to the existing game in order to better match the style of the popular Duke Nukem 3D. Shadow Warrior was published in North America by GT Interactive Software on May 13, 1997. At E3 1997, an area in the GT Interactive Software booth was dedicated to Shadow Warrior.
3D Realms released the source code of the Shadow Warrior engine on April 1, 2005 under the GNU General Public License. Due to the timing of the source code release, some users initially believed that it was an April Fools joke. The first source port, JFShadowWarrior, was created by Jonathon Fowler and released a day later on April 2, 2005, including Linux support and improvements from his JFDuke3D source port. As of January 2015, there have been no new versions of JFShadowWarrior since October 9, 2005. Shadow Warrior for iOS was released on December 19, 2012 by 3D Realms and indie developer General Arcade.
The official website was created by Jeffrey D. Erb and Mark Farish of Intersphere Communications Ltd.
Two expansion packs, Wanton Destruction and Twin Dragon, were released. The third one, Deadly Kiss from SillySoft, remains unreleased, but screenshots were released in January 1998.
• Twin Dragon was released as a free download on July 4, 1998. It was created by Level Infinity and Wylde Productions. The game reveals that Lo Wang has a twin brother, Hung Lo, with whom he was separated in early childhood. Hung Lo becomes a dark person whose goal is to destroy the world. Similar to Master Zilla, he uses the creatures from the "dark side", criminal underworld and Zilla's remnants to further his goals. Lo Wang has to journey through his dark minions, reach his palace and defeat the evil Twin Dragon Hung Lo once and for all. The game features 13 new levels, new sounds, artwork and a new final boss, Hung Lo, who replaced Zilla.
• Wanton Destruction was created by Sunstorm Interactive and tested by 3D Realms, but was not released by the distributor. Charlie Wiederhold presented the four maps he created to 3D Realms, and was consequently hired as a level designer for Duke Nukem Forever. With permission, he released the maps on March 22, 2004. On September 5, 2005, Anthony Campiti—former president of Sunstorm Interactive—notified 3D Realms by e-mail that he found the Wanton Destruction add-on, and it was released for free on September 9, 2005. The add-on chronicles Lo Wang's adventures after the original game. He visits his relatives in USA, but is forced to fight off Zilla's forces again. The game culminates with a battle against Master Zilla above the streets of Tokyo, which ends with Master Zilla's death. The game features 12 new levels, new artwork and a couple new enemy replacements, such as human enemies; though they still act as their original counterparts.
• Shadow Warrior Registered is the original 1.2 version released on August 31, 1997 for MS-DOS and on October 1, 1997 for Mac OS.
• Shadow Warrior Classic Complete is the PC version of Shadow Warrior that was released onto GOG.com and includes the main game and both expansion packs, Wanton Destruction and Twin Dragon. While the Steam version is free (see below), the GOG.com version used to be paid, and has a digital copy of the game's soundtrack in MP3 and FLAC and the game's manual delivered with the game. Published by Devolver Digital, it was released on November 15, 2012, using DOSBox to run on modern systems. Since September 2, 2016, with the release of Classic Redux on GOG, Classic Complete became free.
• Shadow Warrior (iOS) is the iOS version of Shadow Warrior that was ported and published by indie developer General Arcade. It was released on December 19, 2012 to the App Store.
• Shadow Warrior Classic (previously Shadow Warrior Original) is the original MS-DOS version of Shadow Warrior that was released onto Steam using DOSBox. It is free to play and includes the original registered version but does not include the expansion packs. Published by Devolver Digital, it was released on May 29, 2013.
• Shadow Warrior Classic Redux is a PC version of Shadow Warrior, released on Steam for Microsoft Windows and OS X with the main game and both expansion packs, Wanton Destruction and Twin Dragon. Developed by General Arcade and published by Devolver Digital, it was released on July 8, 2013 with improved, OpenGL graphics and visuals, remastered audio and modern PC compatibility.
• Shadow Warrior (Classic) is the PC version rebuilt with Microsoft Windows and OS X support, published by 3D Realms as part of the 3D Realms Anthology Bundle, it was released on October 23, 2014 on their own website and on May 5, 2015 on Steam.